ATSC 3.0 Solutions for the C E Industry
ATSC 3.0 represents a significant departure from previous broadcast standards, bringing together many advanced technologies in the physical, transport, application and service layers of this new broadcast and broadband transmission system. For a successful launch of ATSC 3.0 services that will be compelling and meet consumer expectations, final production devices on the market must be interoperable, and the key features that will drive revenue for manufacturers and broadcasters must be implemented correctly.
Eurofins Digital Testing has established Conformance Test Suites enabling the certification and testing of many of the standards adopted by ATSC 3.0 such as HTML5 runtime environments, MPEG-DASH, Ultra High Definition and High Dynamic Range video. We have a suite of test automation tools which enable device manufacturers and their supply chain to test devices and components reliably and efficiently and enable the ATSC 3.0 standard to be successful. We also offer a complete range of test services including RF, device and UI/application testing.
ATSC 3.0 Test Harness and Test Material
Our ATSC 3.0 Test Harness, first demonstrated at NAB 2018, allows automation of a range of important scenarios for device manufactures and their suppliers to verify conformance and correct implementation. The harness includes:
- Complete lab test environment for device black box testing
- Built-in automation and intuitive UI for managing test execution
- ATSC 3.0 test plan and test information: test assertion, procedure and specification references
- Video capture and automated video playback recognition
- AV Data Processing Unit for verifying Audio/Video synchronisation and frame rate detection
- Dynamic stream packaging and playout (ROUTE/DASH and MMT)
- Integrated web server for hybrid scenarios, including applications and broadband video use cases
The following additional functionality will be added in due course:
- Test report generation and publishing
- Test plan and test run management
- Additional automation capabilities including programmable IR control ... and much more
Our ATSC 3.0 Compliance Test Streams feature audio and video packaged to ATSC 3.0 standards in a way that is easily played out to a TV or other receiver device in a lab environment. The streams include ATSC 3.0 compliant ROUTE/DASH packaged audio and video, over ATSC 3.0 “Physical Layer” RF via an ATSC 3.0 modulator.
- HD and UHD resolutions
- SDR and HDR (HLG10 and PQ10)
- AC-4 Audio
- HEVC/ROUTE/DASH (ATSC 3.0 Profile)
- Subtitles /closed caption
- A/344 Interactive content environment
These features will also be added soon:
- Additional Audio/Video combinations (Next Generation Audio, High Frame Rate, HEVC Scalable - SHVC)
- Targeted Advertising ... and much more
ATSC 3.0 Device Automation and Application Testing
Eurofins TestWizard enables automation of devices – capturing user journeys through a user interface or application with no programming required. TestWizard also integrates with external systems and 3rd party devices to automate testing of real usage scenarios, such as verifying an EPG or companion screen application.
About ATSC 3.0 Conformance
A conformance test suite for ATSC 3.0 devices will validate the hardware, firmware, software and broadcast components conformance with the wide range of standards defined by the ATSC 3.0 specifications, in a lab environment and within manufacturer’s existing development and QA processes. It will iron out issues in the definition of the standard, adding clarity and correcting errors. It will also enable manufacturers to adopt the standard with speed and save wasteful duplication of effort, instead of relying solely on limited local trials and ad-hoc testing.
To discuss an impending ATSC 3.0 project or to learn more about our current activities around ATSC 3.0 technology, please get in touch by using our contact form here.
To read our white paper ‘Conformance Testing for the ATSC 3.0 Standard’ please click here.
To read our Opinion piece on ATSC 3.0 please click here.
Visit our ATSC 3.0 Conformance Testing page here