ATSC 3.0 Conformance Testing
ATSC 3.0 is a new version of the ATSC Standards for Television Broadcasting developed by the US Advanced Television Standards Committee (ATSC). It offers advanced technologies defined for the physical, transport, application and runtime layers of the broadcast system. In order for a successful launch of ATSC 3.0 services that will be compelling and meet consumer expectations, final production devices on the market must be interoperable, and the key features that will drive revenue for manufacturers and broadcasters must be implemented correctly.
Eurofins Digital Testing has established conformance Test Suites enabling the certification and testing of many of the standards adopted by ATSC 3.0 such as:
- 4K Ultra-High Definition, High Dynamic Range and High Frame Rate video
- Next Gen Immersive AC-4 audio
- IMSC1 Text and Image Profile captions
- ATSC 3.0 DASH, ROUTE & MMT protocols and signalling
- ATSC 3.0 HTML5 application environment
- Advanced Emergency Alerts
We have a suite of test automation tools which enable device manufacturers to test devices reliably and efficiently, which could enable the ATSC 3.0 standard to be successful.
Eurofins Digital Testing has a long involvement with the development of ATSC 3.0 Standards and Tooling:
- At IBC in September 2016, in association with Korea’s Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC), Samsung Electronics and the Korea Electronics Technology Institute (KETI), we demonstrated testing of the first implementation of the Korean UHD IBB (Integrated Broadband Broadcast) standard - based on ATSC 3.0 and HbbTV 2.0.
- At IBC in September 2017 we demonstrated ATSC 3.0 ROUTE/DASH compliance streams and at CES 2018 announced the availability of this test material for early adopters to verify their implementations.
- At NAB 2018, we demonstrated our latest ATSC 3.0 Compliance Test Harness, including automated video playback detection, AV synch and frame rate detection, and ATSC 3.0 Test Material including audio and video streams and interactive environment tests.
Eurofins Digital Testing has been working with member organisations if the ATSC and CTA - Consumer Technology Association - discussing how ATSC technology can be successfully deployed in the US and what challenges may lie ahead. Working with other ATSC stakeholders we have also analysed the best approach to testing and certifying ATSC 3.0 devices, an important stage in delivering to the consumer.
A conformance test suite for ATSC 3.0 will validate the complete implementation of a device including the hardware, firmware, software and broadcast components to verify conformance with the wide range of standards set-out in ATSC 3.0. It will iron out issues in the definition of the standard, adding clarity and correcting errors. It will also enable manufacturers to adopt the standard with speed, and save wasteful duplication of effort.
To discuss an impending ATSC 3.0 project or to learn more about our current activities around ATSC 3.0 technology, please get in touch.
To read our white paper 'Conformance Testing for the ATSC 3.0 Standard' please follow the link on the right of this page or to read our Opinion piece - 'ATSC 3.0: Conformance Performance: What the Heck is Conformance Anyway?' click here
Visit our ATSC 3.0 Solutions for the CE Industry page here