Software Engineer, Full Time - UK
Full Time, Software Engineer based in the Bristol office.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer, to join our engineering team based in our Bristol Office, on a full time and permanent basis.
We offer great career opportunities; we are passionate about supporting your development with opportunities to train in new skills, work on diverse projects and gain valuable industry experience.
We also offer an innovative and challenging environment; we get to work on the latest technologies involved in digital media on consumer electronics devices and we use the latest software tools and techniques in our work.
You will design, develop and deliver software tools for testing consumer electronic devices (often TVs). You’ll have the opportunity to be part of every aspect of this work and we believe communication is the foundation for great teams, so you’ll take part in planning the project, daily stand-up meetings and sprint-retrospectives. We try to be agile in some of the things we do (we like continuous integration) and we’re always looking to improve the way we work (this is where you come in).
We also deliver our customers own projects and this role could involve occasional travel. For example: to attend customer sites, our other labs in Europe and even to work within a customer’s own team at their premises for an extended period, if you are happy to do so. The successful candidate will be outgoing and comfortable working in a professional manner with customers and colleagues.
- Ownership and responsibility for the completion and quality of their tasks.
- Proactively develop a deep understanding of relevant technical specifications, test requirements and information for multiple countries and platform configurations.
- Able to understand relevant new technologies and communicate the salient points to the wider team, for example through technical talks or mentoring sessions.
- Provide technical training & mentor others e.g. Graduate Engineers.
- Be passionate about your job, contribute new ideas and improvements to products, services, infrastructure or processes.
- Provide clear well considered estimates for your own work and for others (e.g. through planning poker sessions) that are reliable and that are met.
- Provide clear and correct externally facing communications in several contexts (e.g. support, contributions to standards bodies etc.) and correctly identifies when they need to seek experienced technical or commercial input.
- Complete complex tasks without significant rework being required following review, knows who and how to seek design/requirement clarification ahead of implementation.
- Reviews others work including that of more experienced engineers, identifying possible implementation errors, missed error cases, missing unit/integration tests, potential confusing/ambiguous language or terminology.
- Able to suggest improvements in approach and to analyse a deliverable against a spec (e.g. to confirm a stream is correct, not just that it plays in some reference device).
You will need to demonstrate flexibility in approach and be willing to assist with all aspects of our work.
Eurofins Digital Testing strives to create an open and collaborative working environment. We actively support and encourage ideas from all our employees.
We believe in a good work life balance. Which is why we work hard, but also make time for fun. We have an open plan kitchen, a dedicated social team, who organise events and activities throughout the year; go-karting, climbing, board-games nights are just some examples.
Our Bristol office also has table football, computer games, chess, regular company-wide lunches and fortnightly technical talks on a range of topics.
Necessary skills, qualifications and experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a relevant technical role which has included software development.
- Experience of working within the Broadcast industry
- Upper second-class degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or another technical or scientific subject.
- Excellent communicator: you are equally adept at sketching a design out on a whiteboard and confident to talk through this with your peers, as you are writing up the technical summary of a bug fix.
- Can demonstrate an eye for detail and are diligent and has demonstrable experience of investigating deeply technical issues and summarising the findings to present to stakeholders.
- Experience working in a team and meeting project deadlines.
- Willing and able to travel in the UK and internationally, including working at customer premises for a defined period.
Additional desirable and relevant experience, that would set a candidate apart:
- Experience of working within broadcast industry, ideally covering CE device conformance
- A demonstrable interest in software engineering best practices: you care about source control, continuous integration testing and writing clean code.
- Knowledge of computer networking and/or content streaming (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP).
- Knowledge of web-technologies (such as HTML5).
- Experience and confidence using Django/C/C++/Java.
- Knowledge of media formats, e.g. MPEG, H.264, H.265, AAC, ISOBMFF, MPEG-DASH, especially experience in creating, modifying, and analysing such formats.
- Experience in a customer facing work environment, or in a team leadership role, or in a professional situation presenting on a topic to a large audience.
Just some of the benefits we offer are:
- Gym membership
- Company pension scheme
- 24/7 Employee Assistance programme (Offering Legal, Financial, Medical advice and counselling).
- and many more
At Eurofins Digital Testing, we recognise that our strength lies within our employees. We employ talented and creative individuals to ensure our business continues to thrive which contributes to a diverse set of skills and specialties.
We share a common interest in establishing Eurofins Digital Testing as the leader at the forefront of the global digital media, software and device testing market.
You will have opportunities to get involved in interesting projects that global brands, including leading broadcasters, media service providers, and device manufacturers, depend on to make new technologies work correctly.
Eurofins Digital Testing offices are based in Bristol City Centre. We are right next to Cabot Circus and many bars and restaurants. Our office is easy to commute to and has fantastic views over the city centre too. This area is a great place to live and work, with lots going on.
Due to the nature of our work involving interaction with bulky hardware, we cannot offer remote working for this role.
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive pay with a well-established and growing international company.
- Good benefits and flexible working opportunities.
- Great location within the city centre.
- Opportunities to progress and grow with the company.
- Occasional opportunities to travel and work around the UK and internationally.
Start date: ASAP
Interview process: All applicants must complete an online coding test, if coding results are positive, an initial interview will be arranged and if selected, there will be a final stage competency-based interview.
All applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.