Software Engineer (Testing Products, R&D) - UK
Eurofins Digital Testing is the world’s leading Digital TV Quality Assurance (QA) specialists. Our customers are household-name electronics manufacturers and digital media brands and we create test tools and services to ensure that their products meet the complex and varied needs of today’s multi-platform digital entertainment world. The kinds of things we test are TV application platforms (“red-button” capabilities), internet video delivery, digital rights management, conditional access, and video decoding.
This role is based in central Bristol.
For more information about Eurofins Digital Testing, follow this link.
You will be part of our Testing Products team, where you will design, develop and deliver software tools for testing consumer electronic devices (often TVs). You’ll take part in the full software development life-cycle, from requirements analysis, work-breakdown and estimation (we like planning poker), to implementation, test and release. We believe communication is the foundation for great teams and you’ll take part in stand-ups and sprint-retrospectives, as well as having the opportunity to take part in our fortnightly engineering lighting talk sessions. We try be agile in some of the things we do (we like continuous integration) and we’re always looking to improve the way we work (this is where you come in).
- Design, build and test our testing applications and frameworks.
- Develop work breakdown structures and corresponding estimates.
- Analyse complex technical standards to determine testing requirements and approach.
- Contribute new ideas and improvements to the engineering team and the wider organisation (we set aside roughly one day a month for engineers to work on their own ideas).
- Report progress and status, and escalate issues to project managers.
- Provide technical support to both colleagues and customers.
You will need to demonstrate flexibility in approach and be willing to assist with all aspects of our work.
Minimum Candidate Requirements
- Recent graduate with upper second-class degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or another technical or scientific subject, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communicator: you are equally adept at sketching a design out on a whiteboard as you are writing the technical summary of a bug fix.
- Can demonstrate an eye for detail and are diligent. You are comfortable investigating deeply technical issues and summarising the findings to present to stakeholders.
- Experience working in a team to deadlines.
- Willing to travel as necessary. This may involve a couple of UK trips a year and possibly one European trip.
- Ability to work without restriction in the UK.
Additional relevant experience that would set a candidate apart:
- Familiar with aspects of the software development process: requirements, design, build and test.
- Has an interest in software engineering best practices: you care about source control branching strategies or the configuration of the continuous integration build system.
- Experience using or developing a test automation framework, or writing automated tests.
- Has acted in a technical leadership position previously, including mentoring other engineers.
- Knowledge of digital TV, Smart TV platforms, audio/video encoding, or content protection/distribution.
- Knowledge of computer networking and/or content streaming (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP).
- Knowledge of media formats, e.g. MPEG, H.264, AAC, ISOBMFF, MPEG-DASH, especially experience in creating, modifying, and analysing such formats.
- Experience developing on Windows and Linux platforms.
- Experience using version control systems.
- Experience of working on shared codebases with multiple development branches.
All applications should be emailed to email@example.com.