Contract Software Engineer - Media Generation Expert
Eurofins Digital Testing is the world’s leading Digital TV Quality Assurance (QA) specialists. Our customers are household-name electronics manufacturers and digital media brands and we create test tools and services to ensure that their products meet the complex and varied needs of today’s multi-platform digital entertainment world. The kinds of things we test are TV application platforms (“red-button” capabilities), internet video delivery, digital rights management, conditional access, and video decoding.
This contract role is based in central Bristol.
For more information about Eurofins Digital Testing visit our website at http://www.eurofins-digitaltesting.com/our-company/.
You will be part of our Testing Products team, where you will specialise in working with our media tool chains, generating and analysing various media formats. Your work will also include, where necessary, working on improving/updating the media tool chains and being an active part of wider projects, which will require contribution to our software tools for testing consumer electronic devices (often TVs). You’ll take part in the full software development life-cycle, from requirements analysis, work-breakdown and estimation (we like planning poker), to implementation, test and release. We believe communication is the foundation for great teams and you’ll take part in stand-ups and sprint-retrospectives, as well as having the opportunity to take part in our fortnightly engineering lighting talk sessions. We try to be agile in some of the things we do (we like continuous integration) and we’re always looking to improve the way we work (this is where every member of the team is welcome to contribute).
- To generate and/or validate media artefacts.
- Where necessary, to design, build and test our media generation infrastructure, testing tools, and testing artefacts.
- To provide estimates as part of project planning poker sessions.
- Where necessary, to analyse complex technical standards to determine testing requirements and approach.
- Report progress and status, and when necessary, escalate issues to project managers.
- Provide technical support to both colleagues and customers as required.
You will need to demonstrate flexibility in approach and be willing to assist with all aspects of our work.
MUST HAVES: Minimum Candidate Requirements
- Knowledge of media formats, examples are: MPEG, H.264, H.265 (incl. HLG10 and PQ10), AAC, ISOBMFF, MPEG-DASH; especially experience in creating, modifying, and analysing such formats.
- Familiar with all aspects of the software development process: requirements, design, build and test.
- Excellent communicator: you are equally adept at sketching a design out on a whiteboard as you are writing the technical summary of a bug fix.
- Can demonstrate an eye for detail and are diligent. You are comfortable investigating deeply technical issues and summarising the findings to present to stakeholders.
- Experience using version control systems.
- Experience working in a team to deadlines.
- Educated to University Degree level in a relevant subject.
- Ability to work without restriction in the UK.
Additional relevant experience that would set a candidate apart:
- Knowledge and experience of working with NGA media, e.g. MPEG-H, AC-4.
- Knowledge and experience of working with ATSC3.0 media.
- Has an interest in software engineering best practices: you care about source control branching strategies or the configuration of the continuous integration build system.
- Experience using or developing a test automation framework, or writing automated tests.
- Knowledge of digital TV, Smart TV platforms, or content protection/distribution.
- Knowledge of computer networking and/or content streaming (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP).
- Experience developing on Windows and Linux platforms.
- Experience of working on shared codebases with multiple development branches.
Engineers: Two positions available
Duration: 3 months
Start date: ASAP
If you feel that you have the relevant skills for this position of Contract Software Engineer - Media Generation Expert, please send a CV and covering letter to EDT-HR@eurofins.com. Please clearly mention the position and country you wish to apply for.