Full Time Software Engineer based in Bristol: Two vacancies at this level
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer to expand our development team here at Eurofins Digital Testing.
With offices worldwide, Eurofins Digital Testing is the leading provider of test tooling, services, and labs for broadcasters, consumer electronics, and semiconductor businesses. Our test tools deliver quality assurance, interoperability, and conformance for a wide range of current and emergent broadcasting technologies including HbbTV, ATSC 3.0, CI Plus, Quality of Experience analysis and 4K HDR Ultra HD.
Our software tools are used by platform operators such as Freeview, broadcasters such as the BBC and global brands such as LG, Samsung and Panasonic to ensure their products support the latest media and content delivery technologies.
In our Bristol office, we design and develop these tools. We do not actually run tests (this is done directly by our customers or from our testing services offices in Asia and Europe).
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Identify and break down technical requirements, design, develop and support our software products
- Manage your own tasks and that of junior team members, to steer the technical work ensuring the high-level goals of each project, are met
- Provide reasoned estimates and input in planning sessions, and provide critical insight into the estimates of others
- Review others work including that of more experienced engineers, identifying possible implementation errors, missed error cases, missing unit/integration tests, potential confusing/ambiguous language or terminology
- Complete complex tasks without significant rework being required following review, know who and how to seek design/requirement clarification ahead of implementation
- Actively participate in daily meetings, sprint planning sessions, retrospectives and tech talks
- Demonstrate flexibility in your approach and be willing to assist with all aspects of our work
- Contribute new ideas and improvements to products, services, infrastructure or processes
The technologies we use
- Python, Django and PHP for the backend
- C/C++ for performance critical features and SDK integration
- Windows and Linux OS
- SVN for version control
- Jenkins for continuous integration
- Redmine for bug tracking
- JIRA for project management
- Slack and wiki for collaboration
Our engineers work across the stack so we don’t expect you to be familiar with all of the above, but you should be experienced in at least one of the programming languages we use. Your ability to pick up new languages and tools to support our product development is what we value the most.
Necessary skills, qualifications and experience
- Ability to confidently design, estimate, build, review and test software
- Ability to analyse specifications, derive requirements and create some test materials
- At least TWO years of experience in software development in a commercial environment
- A demonstrable interest in DevOps and software engineering best practices: you know and care about source control, continuous integration and writing clean code
- Ability to communicate clearly: you are equally adept at sketching a design out on a whiteboard and confident to talk through this with your peers, as you are writing up the technical summary of a technology, a product design or a bug fix
- A keen eye for detail, diligence, ability to investigate deeply technical issues
- Education to degree level in either Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or another technical/scientific subject
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of the broadcast and consumer electronics industry, covering technologies like:
- networking and/or content streaming (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP)
- applications and web-technologies (such as HTML5)
- media formats, e.g. MPEG, H.264, H.265, AAC, ISOBMFF, MPEG-DASH, especially in creating, modifying, and analysing such formats
- Provide clear and correct externally facing communications in several contexts (e.g. support, contributions to standards bodies, trade shows etc.)
- Experience in a technical team leadership role or in presenting on a topic to a small audience
- Provide technical training and mentor others e.g. graduate engineers
- Contribute to proposals for internal R&D or customer projects
We recognise that our strength lies within our employees, so we strive to create an open and collaborative working environment where we encourage ideas from everyone.
We allocate 12 days a year for each engineer to focus on their own development, on top of formal training.
We host regular company-wide breakfast and lunches, as well as fortnightly technical talks on a range of topics.
We have a dedicated social team, who organise events and activities throughout the year: go-karting, climbing, cocktail masterclass, pool, board games nights are just some examples.
Due to the nature of our work involving interaction with bulky hardware, the place of work is our office in the Bristol City Centre, right next to Cabot Circus and many shops, bars and restaurants. Our brand-new office is easy to commute to and has fantastic views over the city. We have a large kitchen with table football, video games, chess and free fruits bowl.
Why Should You Apply?
- Working on current and emergent broadcast technologies
- Opportunities to progress and grow within the company
- Competitive pay within a well-established and growing international company
- Flexible working opportunities
- Great benefits:
- Full Gym membership (taxable benefit)
- Discounts with many retailers
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Life insurance
- Mobile phone insurance
- 24 days holiday
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 5%
- Summer and Christmas social events
- Great location within the city centre
- Occasional opportunities to travel around the UK and internationally
- Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete online coding and logic tests (1 hour)
- Telephone interview with line manager (30 minutes)
- Attend face-to-face interview with technical architect and line manager (1 hour)