Eurofins Digital Testing is the world’s leading Quality Assurance (QA) specialist. Our customers are household-name electronics manufacturers and digital media brands – global leaders in technology - and we create test tools and services to ensure that their products meet the complex and varied needs of today’s multi-platform digital entertainment world. The kinds of things we test include TV application platforms (“red-button” capabilities), broadcast and internet video delivery, digital rights management, conditional access, and video decoding.
We are looking for a talented technical lead to join out product development team based in central Bristol. For more information about Eurofins Digital Testing, follow this link.
You will be a Lead Engineer in our Testing Products team, where you will design, develop and deliver software tools for testing consumer electronic devices (often TVs). You’ll support the project manager and lead the team through our software development life-cycle, from requirements analysis, work-breakdown and estimation (we like planning poker), to implementation, test and release. We believe communication is the foundation for great teams and you’ll take a lead role in stand-ups and sprint-retrospectives, as well as having the opportunity to take part in our fortnightly engineering lighting talk sessions. We try be agile in some of the things we do (we like continuous integration) and we’re always looking to improve the way we work (this is where you come in).
- Design, build and test our testing applications and frameworks.
- Help the team develop work breakdown structures and corresponding estimates.
- Analyse complex technical standards to determine testing requirements and approach.
- From time to time, work directly with customers to establish requirements, present our solution and be the technical interface on a customer led project.
- Contribute new ideas and improvements to the engineering team and the wider organisation (we set aside roughly one day a month for engineers to work on their own ideas. It could be new products, enhancements, infrastructure or process improvement).
- Lead and be a champion for software engineering best practices: you care about source control branching strategies or the configuration of the continuous integration build system.
- Report progress and status, and escalate issues to project managers.
- Provide technical support to both colleagues and customers.
You will need to demonstrate flexibility in approach and be willing to assist with all aspects of our work.
Minimum Candidate Requirements
- Graduate with at least an upper second-class degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or another technical or scientific subject.
- Experience using version control systems.
- Experience of working on shared codebases with multiple development branches.
- Experience developing on Windows and Linux platforms.
- Excellent communicator: you are equally adept at sketching a design out on a whiteboard as you are writing the technical summary of a bug fix.
- Can demonstrate an eye for detail and are diligent. You are comfortable investigating deeply technical issues and summarising the findings to present to stakeholders.
- Has acted in a technical leadership position previously, including mentoring other engineers.
- Willing to travel as necessary. This may involve an occasional trip within the UK and less frequently in Europe. We usually expect these trips to last a day or two at most.
Ability to work without restriction in the UK.
Additional relevant experience that would set a candidate apart:
- Postgraduate research (e.g. MSc or PhD.) – many of our team have backgrounds in engineering and sciences research.
- Experience using or developing a test automation framework, or writing automated tests.
- Any prior experience with:
- Digital TV, Smart TV platforms, audio/video encoding, or content protection/distribution.
- Computer networking and/or content streaming (TCP/IP, HTTP, UDP).
- Media formats, e.g. MPEG, H.264, AAC, ISOBMFF, MPEG-DASH, especially experience in creating, modifying, and analysing such formats.
- Line management experience:
- Helping individual team members personal and career development,
- Setting and monitoring performance objectives
- Running regular 1 to 1s,
- Sensitively handling pastoral issues.
All applications should be emailed to email@example.com.